Mother’s Day is one of the most beloved holidays of the year; a day that we honor the woman who gave us life. Before you browse our website for beautiful floral arrangements to send to mom, here are some Mothers’ Day trivia facts you may find interesting.
- The first recorded mother in the Bible was Eve, whose name means “Mother of all the living.”
- In the vast majority of the world’s languages, the word for “mother” starts with the letter “M”.
- Just after the Civil War, grieving mothers gathered to mourn their sons and husbands; “Mothers’ Friendship Days” are considered the seeds of Mothers’ Day observances.
- Anna Jarvis, who established Mothers’ Day in honor of her mother; also filed a lawsuit to get the holiday back on the calendar. She cited over-commercialization, which was never her intent; instead, she had hoped for quiet family time and prayer.
- Despite her efforts, Mothers’ Day was well on its way. Nearly two-thirds of us will purchase flowers for our mother, mother-in-law or grandmother, totaling about $2.3 billion annually.
- Pink carnations are historically the official flower of Mothers’ Day; pink roses are the more popular in recent years. Pink roses stand for appreciation.
- Of the countries around the world that celebrate Mother’s Day, only a couple do not observe it on the second Sunday in May. Thailand celebrates in August, and Ireland on the fourth Sunday of Lent.
On May 8th, mothers throughout the Minneapolis area will receive tokens of appreciation and love. Give your mother a gorgeous bouquet from the experts at Schaaf Floral, and let her know just how special she is. Because of all the facts on Mothers’ Day, the best one is that your mom is amazing.